If you ever have any questions about the Sync Bookmarks Utility, consult the Users Guide and the Readme file (README.TXT; located in the folder in which the program is installed); you may find the answers there. If your question is not answered in this FAQ or in any of the above sources, post your question in the Sync Bookmark forums.
1. Doesn't Mozilla or Netscape have a Bookmark synchronization feature already?
Earlier versions of Netscape 6.x did have the ability to automatically keep your Bookmarks synchronized with your Internet Explorer Favorites. However, it was considered a bug instead of a feature, and this synchronization "bug" was subsequently removed in future releases. Synchronization is now done only when you start Mozilla or SeaMonkey for the first time after its installation.
This feature (or "misfeature") is still available, but it is now broken. While you can enable it again via a hidden setting in the pref.js file in your Mozilla/SeaMonkey user profile, clicking on the imported Favorites items will have no effect.
2. Will Sync Bookmarks work with Netscape 8 or Mozilla Firefox?
No. Both Netscape 8 and Mozilla Firefox already have the ability to import IE Favorites using the Import feature accessible via the File | Import in the main browser window.
3. Why do I get the message "Cannot synchronize bookmarks while Netscape or Mozilla windows are open"?
Mozilla and SeaMonkey locks your Bookmarks file while it is running, and will overwrite any changes you make to it during a Mozilla/SeaMonkey session. For this reason, the Sync Bookmarks Utility will not permit you to perform synchronization while a Mozilla/SeaMonkey window is open. Close all Mozilla or SeaMonkey windows, then try running Sync Bookmarks again.
It is not necessary to unload the Mozilla/SeaMonkey QuickLaunch program before running the Sync Bookmarks Utility.
4. I get the error message "Profile not found: profile_name".
Sync Bookmarks can't find the Mozilla/SeaMonkey user
profile name as specified as an argument to the
5. How do I get the Sync Bookmarks Utility to automatically synchronize Bookmarks in my Mozilla/SeaMonkey profile without going through the initial user profile selection window?
To make this change, open the Windows Start menu and then right-click on the "Sync Bookmarks" shortcut item. In the pop-up menu that appears, choose-P profile_name . In the Properties dialog box, add a space to the end of the text in the "Target" text field, and then the following:
where profile_name is the desired Mozilla/SeaMonkey user profile in which its Bookmarks will be synchronized. If the desired profile name contains spaces, enclose the profile name in quotation marks. Then click OK to dismiss the Properties dialog box.
6. Can this program synchronize Internet Explorer Favorites with Mozilla/SeaMonkey Bookmarks?
No. Synchronization only works one way, i.e. IE Favorites --> Bookmarks.
7. I want to use the command-line front end. How do I add the program folder to the $PATH environment variable?
8. Is the Sync Bookmarks Utility available on other operating systems (for example, Linux)?
The Sync Bookmarks Utility is only useful on platforms that support Internet Explorer. Currently, Sync Bookmarks works on Windows only.
9. I'm interested in contributing to the development of the Sync Bookmarks Utility. How do I get started?
More information for developers interested in contributing to the development of the Sync Bookmarks Utility can be found in the Developers section.
10. What makes the Sync Bookmarks Utility better than other bookmark managers out there?
Unlike other bookmark managers out there, synchronizing Bookmarks with the Sync Bookmarks Utility is quick and easy -- just a few mouse clicks and you're done. No more wading through complicated dialog boxes and so-called wizards! Advanced users and Web browser enthusiasts will relish the command-line front end for its additional functionality, including backing up one's Bookmarks and exporting them to a Mozilla/SeaMonkey-compatible Bookmark file. And best of all, Sync Bookmarks is free!
11. Does Sync Bookmarks still work with Netscape versions 6 or 7?
Yes, however Netscape 6 and 7 are no longer supported.